A “must visit” is the world-famous Mont Saint Michel less than 10miles (15 Km) from Ferme Saint Christophe. Resembling a real-life fairy castle, it lies at the estuary of the River Couesnon, which separates Normandy and Brittany.
Strategic fortifications have existed on the mount since ancient times and from the 8th century it became a monastery. The Mount itself resembles the feudal society that constructed it, with God at the top, the Abbey and Monastery below, followed by the great hall, the shops and houses, finally leading down to the fishermen’s and farmers’ cottages at the bottom, outside the walls.
Mont Saint Michel’s unique location just under half a mile from land was easily accessible to the pilgrims who visited its abbey. This natural moat facilitated its defence as incoming tides stranded, drove off or drowned would-be assailants. By capitalising on these natural defences, Mont Saint Michel remained unconquered during the Hundred Years’ War with a small garrison successfully defending it against a full attack by the English in 1433. The advantages of these natural features were then reversed when Louis XI turned Mont Saint Michel into a prison.
Mont Saint Michel is now one of France’s most recognisable and visited landmarks. The mount and its bay are UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Mont Saint Michel is just 15min from Ferme Saint Christophe.
Ferme Saint Christophe – Mont Saint Michel : (route/way)
The entrance is free for:
- Children under 18 (except school group)
- EU citizens (18-25)
- Disabled people
- Unemployed people (proof required)
- The monument is free on the Saturdays and Sundays of the “European Heritage Days” which are organised on the 3rd weekend of September
- the 1st Sunday of the month (from 1 January to 31 March and from 1 November to 31 December).
- Priority entrance ticket
What’s not included
What to remember
- Cancellation policy: no refund, no exchange
- Last admission 30 minutes before closing
- The ticket gives access to an unguided tour of the monument
- The Centre des monuments nationaux is strictly applying the security measures decided by the french authorities
- Luggages and big items exceeding 55cm*35cm*20cm will not be accepted
Open every day
9.00am – 6.00pm
L’Abbaye, 50170 Le Mont-Saint-Michel, France
Present your ticket at the entrance of Mont Saint Michel Abbaye.
Holiday cottage and rental Mont-Saint-Michel in St Marcan (5 mi)